So this recipe from My Salty Kitchen popped up on the local news website. It reminded me a bit of minestrone soup, but looked like easy lasagna. I was intrigued, and moreover, had most of the ingredients, so decided to give it a shot. It is easy to modify to make vegetarian, which mine almost is (I had chicken stock and used that, but veg. stock would be good, too). I also ended up tossing a ball of kale in there (we processed our abundant kale harvest from the summer by blanching it, chopping it, and balling it up, then freezing it on cookie sheets. We’ve been eating a bit of summer all winter long that way…)
So, here’s my version, which makes some alterations:
- olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 med red onion
- oregano, rosemary, thyme
- 1 lg can chopped tomatoes with basil
- bunch of chopped kale, chard, spinach, etc. (as much as looks good to you)
- 32oz chicken or veggie stock (I used chicken)
- 1 sm can tomato paste
- 1 lg package tortellini (I used most of a ‘family size’ package, the rest went to my voracious toddler)
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1/2C ricotta cheese
- a few oz. fresh mozerella for garnish (and eating while you cook)
- Boil the tortellini in a separate pot of water, drain, toss with a bit of oil to prevent sticking, and set aside.(or you can add them to the soup and simmer for a while, as in the original recipe, but I wanted to save out some of the package and was afraid of them getting soggy).
- Mince the onion and garlic and sauté in some olive oil until soft. Toss in the herbs and sauté a bit more.
- Add the can of tomatoes, juice and all, and then add the tomato paste. Mix well.
- Add in the stock stir to combine. Simmer for a bit to combine flavors.
- If adding uncooked tortellini, bring to a low boil, and then add the tortellini and cook. Otherwise just add in the chopped greens and cooked tortellini.
- Just before ready to serve, mix in the ricotta cheese, and then garnish the bowls with grated or diced fresh mozz.
So that’s it! Super good! In the original recipe, she suggested making a baked dish out of leftovers, which I may try today.