Because who doesn’t want cookies with their tea? This is adapted from the Cook’s Illustrated Best Recipe series “Quick Recipe” book. An excellent cookbook investment.
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3rds cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (add more for sweeter cookies; I often eliminate this altogether)
- few tablespoons granulated sugar (for rolling)
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1.5 cups dried cranberries
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp grated orange, lemon, grapefruit zest (from one large fruit, feel free to mix and match)
- 1 tsp orange extract (if you want extra punch; this could be cut as well)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil (or other mild veg. oil)
- Preheat oven to 375′ and set up two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar (leaving out the few T for rolling), baking powder, salt.
- Add orange zest and whisk to combine, then toss in cranberries and toss with a rubber spatula to combine
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and orange extract
- Mix the egg mixture into the dry ingredients with a spatula, until fully combined and all ingredients are moistened.
- Roll small balls of dough in your hands and then roll in the extra sugar. Place on the cookie sheet, and then flatten slightly with a fork. They don’t spread much, so you can put them reasonably close together (1.5 inches)
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown. After 10 mins, rotate front to back. When out of the oven, leave the cookies on the sheet for a few mins, to set, and then remove to a wire rack to cool.